Sunday, April 22, 2007

Looser jeans and more productivity

I have always been pretty in shape. I played sports all through school and I liked to be active. But college hit me like a bus. I often find myself sitting in my room when I had free time instead of working out. This week I decided that I would attempt to work out everyday this week. I thought it would be something that would be really difficult for me, but it turned out to be so easy.

At the beginning of the week I kind of dreaded getting up and actually spending time in the gym. By the end of the week it was something that my body had to have to feel complete for the day.

The reason that I picked this to work on for the week was because I found myself looking less and less like I wanted to. I also found that I was really tired all the time and that I was having a hard to sleeping at night. This was not just an aim for the week, but for something that I would continue to do. My goal was to get to the point that I was working out at least 5 times a week for at least an hour a day.

My methods to help me carry this out was to set a certain time that I would do it so I didn't have to work around my schedule at all. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I went right after my class at 1.15. On Tuesday and Thursday I went at 10 am to get my day started. Sunday and Saturday I went when I got up before I did anything else.

I learned this week that once your body gets into a pattern of something, it will continue to want to do that. I was finding myself becoming impatient by about 1.25 if I hadn't gotten to the gym yet. I was alot more productive this week as well. I had an easier time getting my homework done and I slept like a rock. One extra positive was that I lost 2lbs. to. That was not my intended goal necessarily, but I did want to feel good about myself for working out.

One aspect of Chapter 12 that I thought really was meaningful to my personal learning was the idea of self-management. I had to make it a point to do something and to make sure that I finished my task. It was something that I had to do to hold myself to my goal.

This week was one that really helped to begin a challenge of a more healthy lifestyle.

No comments: